07 August 2015

Bikewright Workshop Project- Diamondback Apex The first Signs of Life


It sure seems like slow going on this project but its starting to come to life. Before I do any frame work or paint I figured this project is better off with a full mock-up first.

It seems like I have had all different type of issues sourcing parts. I found the Diamondback Mountain stem on line as NOS. The stem length is 130 mm, the steer-er tube diameter is 22.2 mm, the handlebar clamp is 25.4 mm. It also has a brass roller for the routing of the brake cable.

I purchased a set of Cane Creek SRC-5C Brake levers. They are used and did not come with the clamps. Had to source clamps.

Next on the purchase list was the drop bar. I had researched and researched on the drop bar I wanted which was a On One Midge. Searched and searched online and went to my Local Bike shop and could not find one in the USA. Yep you can't get them. So sourcing a drop bar in black that will fit a 25.4 clamp can be done with a Origin 8 Gary Bar. What you see in the picture is the Gary II which is what you need if you plan on using bar-end shifters. Over all the stem and bar set-up sets a little lower than what you would want to with a dirt drop bar. But I think this will have to do.

The wheels are just and extra set that I have to use for now. I am not totally sure what I am going to do with the wheels/hubs/drive train. But whatever I end up with I will be using bar-end shifters.



No comments: