Garmin Foretrex 401 || Review Updated

I have been using the Foretrex 401 for about 10 months now. If you go back here, you can read where I gave my first review.

I am sad to report, that not too long after posting my review, my 201 started recording a false max speed. I tried a hard reset and that did not work. Since the max speed was reading false I started not to trust the rest of the data. So the 201 was retired.

The Foretrex 401 meets all the requirements that I was looking for and is a great unit. However, there are a couple of issues with getting the data off of the unit that can cause a few problems. First, there is the Garmin Connect site. This is a workout log site where you can download the data from the GPS and track your workouts.

When you turn on the unit it takes a couple of seconds to pick up a signal. Once I have a signal I will reset my data screen. But when you go to download the data to the Garmin Connect site you will also download the data before the reset. I just delete that record from the site.

This next one has happened twice to me (both were hiking trips) and I have seen another post about this issue. I parked my car and I turned the unit on. When the unit was able to receive a signal I reset that data page. But when I got back home to download the data it had my start point at my house and it recorded the entire hike. But that was a total mileage of 102 miles and not the 9.2 miles that the unit was showing. I don't know why it did that but the data from that trip was of no good to me.

I used Garmin Connect to upload my data to do a quality check. Delete what I don't need and name the activity. Then I export the GPX file to another website. There are many different activities (workout) tracking websites out there. I have found that I like to use Ride with GPS. Currently, I have a free basic account. When using Ride with GPS I can pick up all the heart rate zones and how long I was in each one. You do not see that data on the Garmin Connect. With the Garmin Connect site, it only shows you AVG HR and Max HR.

Bottom line the 401 is a great unit for what my needs are. I can deal with a data site that has issues or does not support the 401 as well as some of the other Garmin units


Updated- I had another false max speed (something like 1,200mph)This only showed up on the Garmin Connect site. I did the same process of downloading to Garmin Connect and then moving the GPX file to another site. The second site displayed the correct max speed. So I don't think the false information is coming from the GPS but from the Garmin Connect site.


 My Long-Term Review of the Garmin 401


If you have any questions after reading both posts please leave a comment

Comments

Popular Posts