04 March 2017

Don't Let The Weather Fool You

I don't know if it's a normal cycle or part climate change, but it seems like winter has left Virginia early this year. Well maybe... This week we had a record breaking high of 81 and then in 24 hours the high is 33 degrees cooler. When I got up this morning it was 24 degrees! That is a huge difference.

My point of this post is a reminder for all of us that pursue outdoor activities. Don't let Mother Nature fool you during the months of March and April! This is the time of year that the weather will be nice and then two days later it will be cold again.

I can remember being in the Field for training in the early 90's and it was the first week in April. It had been nice that week and that weekend the weather turned on us, Cold and windy and it had rained Friday night. The guys that stayed the the GP Large tent was up most of the night digging a trench to keep the water from flooding the tent. I had found the best place to set-up my pup tent and had no issues. Late Saturday afternoon the commands started pulling the troops back to the barracks. With the mind set train as you fight I stayed out in the field and woke to a dusting of snow the next morning. Three seasons in one weekend...

Don't get caught being under perpared. Check the weather for the time period that you are going to be gone even if its just a few hours for a day hike or bike ride. Pack that shell and gloves in your pack! Something tells me you might need it.

Be Safe out there!

No comments: