My wife came up with the idea of black parts. What she was meaning was black seatpost, stem, cranks and wheels. Well that should not be hard right? It has been more challenging than I figured it would be. The seatpost had been my stopping point for sometime. The post needed for this bike is a 26.6 which is hard to find in black that does not cost $12. I just don't see a $12 post holding up! Anyhow I was able to find a vintage Gipiemme Seatpost.
Since I was building this up as a drop-bar I needed bar end shifters. Out of all the different drive train set-ups that I could have gone with, I figured 9 speed is where I was going to go with this project. Searching for a set of used bar end shifters at a price point that was not close to a new pair was impossible. So I went with a new set of Microshift 9 speed bar end shifters. I had not heard of Microshift and figured why not give them a try. I am all for trying out the little guy over the big two companies that make shifters and drive trains.
Easy to set-up and looks good. Very please with how the bar tape looks at the shifter.
Very pleased with the shifter and it has a good feel to it. Now the next picture does not look as good as it does in person.
I could have gone up the bar past the bake lever and had a smaller loop of shift housing but I went with the old school routing and had to put a bigger loop in the shift housing. I think this is the way to go because the Gary II bar does not have a housing routing grove and I think feeling the housing would drive me crazy.
I am really please with how the mouse pads and bar tape worked together. I am sure once I get riding I will have to post how well that works. This is the first time that I have used mouse pad to add extra pading under the tape.