19 October 2016
At last phase 1 of the Bikewright Workshop Project is complete and I set off for my first test ride. If you are new to the blog go here to read about how this project got started. My process might be wrong or someone else might have used a different method than I have here, but this makes the most since to me.
First off I was not a 100% that this frame was going to fit me. I purchase the frame off of an on-line auction site. I had to go off the measurements that were list and match that up to what I was already riding. Sure, not all the measurements matched up and it was kind of of wait and see approach.
There were a couple of different challenges to this build which impacted the whole process. I did a lot of research about touring/mountain touring/trekking and bikepacking. That open up a big can of worms or in this case choices, What type of gearing did I want? Double or triple crank? What type of shifters? What racks will I use? There is no right answer to any of this!
Once I had the choices figured out. The next question is, will it work together. More research on to understand what works and what does not. Are the shifters going to work with the derailleurs? Is the handle bar going to work with the stem?
One last challenge was cost. I wanted to keep cost down as much as I could. Not that I wanted to go the cheap route, but a purpose built one. Sure I would have liked to tried an Alfine hub, but I could not have justified the cost over the benefit of such a hub.
What was the test ride like? I am totally amazed at how well this bike fits me and how well it handles. The bike is just a blast to ride. So much so I am thinking about racing in a Mostercross race in February on the bike. One because I think it would be fun and two nobody would be riding anything like it.
Here is the build list:
Frame: 1989 Diamondback Apex Tange Chromoly Double-butted Tubing
Front Fork: Chromoly Straight Blade Fork with mid-fork rack eyelets and braze-ons
Wheels: 32 Spoke WTB Dual Duty Rims and WTB Grease Guard Hubs
Tires: Bontrager Connection 26X1.75
Brakes: Cane Creek SXC-5 Brakes and SRC-5C Levers
Crankset: Truativ Team Stylo 44/32/22
Derailleur (rear): 9 Speed Shimano XTR
Derailleur (front): 9 Speed Shimano Deore M590
Shifter F/R: 9 Speed Mircoshift Bar End Shifter BS-T09
Cassette: 9 Speed Shimano XT
Chain 9 Speed KMC X9.93
Handlebar: Origin 8 Gary II Bar
Stem: DiamondBack L130mm, D22.2mm, C25.4mm
Headset: No Name 1"
Bottom Bracket: Tange 68X113mm
Seat Post: Gipiemme 26.6mm
Saddle: Selle Anatomica
Phase II will be the racks and bags and other hardwear that I will need for camping out.
Phase III will be frame work and paint
If you have questions please commitment below
11 October 2016
This workshop project has taken me longer than I figured it would and I guess some of that has been by choice. There are so many ways that I could have gone with hubs, gears and other parts that it all can be overwhelming at times.
There have been times that I wondered if I should have done this project. Would the time and money been better spent on a new adventure bike?
Over the weekend I tried to install a brand new Tange bottom bracket. After a couple of tries I figure that I need the bottom bracket chased. Since I don't have the tools for that, I needed to enlist my local shop do do that job for me.
I think I might have had my above question answered today by the shops mechanic. After I told him what I needed done I got the feedback I was looking for. He said I like it! I like the bike and Cane Creek brakes levers!
I feel like if the shop mechanic likes what you are building and he tells you that, then you are doing it right. He gets to work on everything from crap bikes to the latest and greatest. But with working on a project bikes like this is just different. There’s putting new life into a old frame. There’s figuring out how to get new or used parts to work together. Most of all is it going to ride like you have been planning.
I hope by this time next week I can share pictures with you of the mock-up and a report of its test ride.