29 March 2013

This is Not Good!



Got around to cleaning the frame of my CX bike last Saturday. I had a strip of clear 3M tape running down the down tube. A spot near the bottom bracket was lifted up and had some dirt behind it. I started to pull the tape off and then power came with it. To my horror was the rust behind the power.

As far as I can tell, there is only this section and some places on the seat tube that are like this. I can only guess what has caused the problem. My guess is that these section did not get cleaned like it should before receiving the power coat.

I have the bike stripped. That was the easy part. I also have received a new set of decals from the builder. The not so easy part is figuring out which route I take getting this fixed. Do I go with power again or do I go with paint? Do I go with someone local that has not power coated many bikes to save on shipping or find someone that has done 500 plus frames and have to ship?

I am going to take the next week to figure that one out..As my wife said, "It can be fixed. Just get it done." I think she told me those eight works from keeping me from having a meltdown.

3 comments:

Dan O said...

Ouch - and that bike is pretty new - correct?

Looks like the powder coat wasn't done correctly, the 3M tape held moisture in, then rust city.

Will the builder somehow warranty this? Or no way?

Bikewright said...

Yep, the bike is all most 3 years old. I am on my own to get this fixed..

DavidR said...

I say take it to the local powder guy. Powder is the way to go for bike frames, I'm convinced of this.