Bikewright Workshop Project 1986 Bridgestone MB-1 || Different Types of 1-inch Headsets

The MB-1 project is coming along but things are slow. Last night I had a setback. So I figured I would share. The Bridgestone came with a Shimano 600 headset and it had seen better days and would need replacing.

I had purchased a new Ritchey Logic headset as a replacement. I pressed the cups in the head tube without too many issues. Then I tried to put the fork crown race on the fork. This is when I had problems. I matched the old 600 crown race with the new one and they seem to be the same size. After 30 mins I gave up!

I put a post on a website to see what the issue could be. During the night someone gave me that answer... The new headset was an ISO headset and I needed a JIS headset. I would have never figured that there are different types of standard sizes of 1-inch headsets, but there are...

Tonight I found this blog post over at Velo Orange. VO does a great job of giving you the low down on 1-inch headsets.

So there you go, we both learned something from my mistake!

Comments

Popular Posts