20 January 2011

Made in America-Part 7 DeFeet

"I thought finding any bike related clothing made in the US was basically impossible."
-Dan O. Yes most of us would think so, but it is not true.

Once again I bring you my Made in America series.Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina we have a company called Defeet. If you have been cycling for any amount of time I bet you have a pair of their socks.





Now are we starting to see a pattern? Go back to part 5 and Building up the Walt, all are from North Carolina.

In the picture above I have a pair of their Air•E•Ator® socks, Armskins D in blue and black and a pair of their Duraglove. The socks and the blue armskins must be 10 years old and the black armskins and gloves are about two years old.

Now I have moved away from the Air•E•Ator® socks because I need a better fit with all of my shoes. This was not a sock problem but more of a shoe fit problem.

The armskins are the only type of armwarmers that I will ride with. They stay up and there are no problems of them ever coming down. The other cool thing about armskins is that you can use them for more than cycling. I have also used them on my lightweight backpacking trips. Take one wicking t-shirt and make it a long-sleeve by just adding armskins. When that cool morning warms up you can take them off and pack them up. Bottomline armskins are all you need.

Now with the duraglove. This is just me, but once I get going and start to heat-up I do not need a heavy glove and the duraglove is just right. I don't use it much for cycling but I do use it for running and hiking. Great glove!

Price range is $10- $27 for their products which is a good deal. Defeet gets the Bikewright Seal of Approval. Check them out here.

2 comments:

Dan O said...

Awesome - I forgot about DeFeet. Thanks for keeping me in the "Mad in the USA" loop.

I have an ancient pair of arm warmers from Performance that I've been using maybe 20 years - they still work well. I'm amazed they haven't fallen apart after hundreds and hundreds of machine washings. I think they may have been US made - need to check the label.

I also have a 20+ year old Performance rain jacket that still survives. That was US made - I just checked the label.

I knew some smaller US smaller companies still made hats and socks. I thought finding bike shorts made in the US was basically impossible. I'm glad to be proved wrong.

Bikewright said...

Dan O, Glad to have you checking the labels. I think I have two companys that I will be able to share.