13 January 2011

Made in America, Part 6 Bibs- Some times...



Shorts are a highly personal item and what works for one does not work for another. I guess about two years ago I bought my first pair of bibs and I will never buy regular cycling shorts again. I like the compression that the bibs provide which in my mind helps on those long rides.

Picture above are Performance Ultra II Bib Shorts. They are a house brand bibs from Performance Bicycle. The bibs on the left are about two years old made down in Costa Rica. The bibs on the right were just purchase a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise they are made in the good old USA!

Now the first thing that pops into my head is, I bought the second pair for the same amount as the first pair. How did they do that? Costa Rice per capita GDP of $11,00 and the US per capita GDP of $46,000. You can check that info out here.

I guess I will never figure that one out but glad to see that they where made here and at great price point! I put off buying a new team kit that was not going to get here until March and I was in the need of new shorts now. I was very pleased with the first set of Ultra bibs and figure I would get another pair.

The only thing that I can tell that is different from my old pair of bibs is the chamois is green and not blue and could be thicker. So far I have only used them two times and I will need to put a few more miles and one long ride before I will say if they are just as good as the first pair of bibs.We will just have to revisit this post to see how they do.

We should see Made in America part 6 &7 very soon. I found more cycling gear made in the U.S.

1 comment:

Dan O said...

Interesting - I thought finding any bike related clothing made in the US was basically impossible.

Yeah - once you try bibshorts, going back to regular shorts is tough.