SWEET!

The Bontrager is up and running again with a new set of wheels. Well, almost... When I first rebuilt the Bontrager I was wanting a nice set of wheels made up with WTB Grease Guard hubs and skewers and rims.

I was able to win a couple of bids to get a set of 32 hole Wilderness Trail Bike Paradigm Hubs. The hubs are made with the WTB Grease Guard bearing lubrication system. To service, the hub all you have to do is take a small grease gun to pump in the grease and the old grease comes out at the red O-rings.












Next, I was able to find a pair of WTB Dual Duty Rims. One of the reasons that I had chosen to go with the Dual Duty rims was that I could run it disc or rim brake and since I had the Waltworks fork made with a disc tab. I could use the same rims with different brake set-up.



But my project came to a stop for months, well okay how about 8 months! Wilderness trail bikes no longer make the skewers. Great and I keep on getting the losing bid! In one last-ditch effort, I put a wanted post on MTBr and that's where I land a set. I know for 25 bucks I could have bought a new set of another brand that would do just as good, but it's all about the look.



The wheels were laced with Wheelsmith black DB spokes and silver brass nipples. The wheels were hand-built by my friend Dartman. Time did not work out for him to teach me this fine art so two six-packs had to do plus I gave him a nice beer glass from the Hofbrauhaus.

I took off this morning for a 20 plus mile fire road ride and the wheels did great. I hope to get many more miles and I hope that it does not take me as long to get another set of wheels built!

Comments

Dan O said…
Nice wheels. WTB made (and makes) some great stuff. The Grease Guard idea made a lot of sense.

I have some old school WTB brakes on my Yo Eddy. I also coveted those WTB Phoenix frames back in the day.

Popular Posts