05 February 2010

UNIVEGA Alpina Sport - Project

It has been a few days since my last post and part of the title came true. The part about fever! Yes, I have been sick since last Sunday and I am back to about 60%.Funny thing is that you have two choices, 1) see a doctor or 2)not see a doctor and the bottom line is you can take meds and you will be better in 14 days or take nothing and be better in two weeks. On to the Vega, that is Univega!

A couple of weeks ago one of our local riders aka Dirt had posted on the local forum that he had some parts that he was selling. A couple of days later he posted that he also had a free Univega frame. I was lucky enough to get my hands on it.

I had a friend that I use to ride with back in the mid to late 90's named Mark Winbourne. He had a Univega and he could ride like butter. So I was looking forward with doing something with this frame. What it was I was not sure but with my adult ADD I will figure it out.

About a week later, one of the guys in my unit said he wanted to start commuting to work but needed a better bike. I told him that I had the frame for him. So this is going to be a commuter bike project.

Looking around the bikewright Command Center aka garage I found that I had a lot of old parts that would work well for this project.


Univega Alpina Sport


I did a little research on the bike and found that I think it is a 1993 and sold for around $525. There is not a lot on the retro/vintage bike sites on Univegas other than "we need to see more Univegas".



Looks as if this bike will sport some type of LX package on it. The wheels I have are an old set of Specialized Z-21 26X 1.50 rims with Deore LX HB-M563 hubs. I hope a little truing is all it will take to keep them rolling for many more miles. I also have a NOS LX crank, a Ritchey ProLite bar, 800 X-Ray Grip Shifters.

The frame is in great shape with the normal paint wear and just will need a good cleaning and wax. I have been thinking about treating the inside of the frame but I don't think this is going to be a all-weather commuter.

So let's see how far I get with this thing over the weekend.

9 comments:

Dan O said...

During my bike shop days of the early '80s, we sold Univega. If I remember correctly, Univega was actually made by Miyata - that we also sold.

They were decent to high quality bikes at the time, made in Japan.

Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to your posts with the progress.

silecoscaru said...

i have this bike and i love it :X is very light weight and it runs very smoothly

Dakota said...

I have a Univega Alpine Sport that I bought used around 1996. As I recall it was only a couple of years old. I want to sell it. What do I need to look for on the bike to give all the specifics. I have no idea of what to ask for the bike.

Dakota

Bikewright said...

Dakota- Just to a google search. Somewhere out there I found all the specs on the bike. You would need to see if the samethings are on the bike that you have. I did find a frame on ebay and they where asking $50.

silecoscaru said...

i have all the original components :)

silecoscaru said...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/druncea.silviu

Forrest Omland said...

I was very happy to come across photos of this wonderful frame in that color scheme and I enjoyed the post. I also have fond memories of this very bike, as it was my first real trail-worthy one, and I was wondering where your project ended up. Hope she's alive and rolling. :)

Bikewright said...

Thanks Forest for leaving the comment. I have to say the the UNIVEGA Alpina Sport post are the most viewed post on the blog. Back in the mid-90's I had a friend that rode a Univega and that guy could ride!

The project ended up with a guy in my unit and is locked to the stairwell in the building as of a week ago.

I told him when he does not want the bike anymore I would buy it back from him!

Forrest Omland said...

Great news! Thanks for the info. Here's to hoping! I have a connection on my old bike as well in case anyone is out there is dying to find a medium plum/silver fade ... :)