03 January 2010

"The Thinking Sport"

Yesterday I needed to get out and burn off some of that Christmas eating that I have been doing to much of. Something about 30 degrees and 30 mph wind did not look good to me for a bike ride. So luck had it there was and orienteering event taking place at one of the county parks.

I think orienteering is one of those off beat sports just like cyclocross was 10 years ago.But if you don't know what it is, orienteering is a sport where you use map & compass to find controls on the course and punch your control card and get back to the finish with the fastest time.

Here's a picture of a control out on the field. This one was easy to find, but you get the point. You can see how hard the wind was blowing.


Since it was cold the course setter shorten the course to only 10 controls. I was able to finish with a time of 25+. I am still waiting for the times to be posted.I had a great time and for once was on my game. I was in 1st when I left the event.

This is a fun event to do and if you have kids and want to teach them how to read a map and compass, do some physical fitness, and decision-making then this is it.

No comments: