01 January 2010

Braking it down

Happy New Year! Today was take down and put away Christmas. Today marks that the holidays are over in the Bikewright house hold. If we did not take down and put away the Christmas stuff this weekend, then who knows when it would have been done. Wife has been a trooper all day. She has been under the weather today and should have not been helping at all.

I did get a little time to work on my Bridgestone project. Today I started on the handle bar/brakes/shifter. I start by taking the O.G.K Cobra grips off. If you set the end of the grip that goes to the center of the bar the grip looks like a Cobra. From what I can find on the web they where made in the mid 80's. They do have that ergonomic feel to them. It's funny how things come back it style. I don't know what it is but I am not feeling these grips and I have plans that I will replace them. Not sure what I will do but I love Ergon GP1's, or maybe something like this. Wow $84 bucks!

Next I moved onto the Dia-Compe 183 brake levers. I think they are about 190g and all I needed to do was clean them up and replace the barrel adjuster on the right lever. I had to buy another lever at a recycle bike shop to get the part. I don't think I paid any more than $3 for the lever. One thing that is cool and they where thinking back-in-the-day is that the lever handle is replaceable.

Then I moved to the Suntour XC shifter. Now this is where it got fun. When I started mountain biking in the mid 90's I started off using Grip Shift shifters, so the thumbies are something different to me. So they where a blast to take apart and clean-up 23 year old grease off of them.

After taking everything off this is what I got. Man that's a lot of parts for one shifter. I hope I remember how the thing goes back together.






Here's a shot of the clamp and base of the shifter mount.












Next is the upper part of the shifter














Here is everything back on the bar.



Like I said, this part of the project has been fun. Learning how something works taking it apart and putting it back together. It's a shame that as simple as a bike is that most modern parts are just throw a ways.


No comments: