20 July 2009

Made in America! I think?

I know I am going on a rant that will not make any since to anybody but here I go. Over the last two years I have done a lot of research on major brand bicycles, components, accessories, outdoor gear, and custom bicycles. I am amazed of all the U.S. brand bicycles, components, accessories, and outdoor gear that is made overseas and what is still made here in the Good Old U.S.A. or what seems to be made here or what part is made here or it is designed here but made there... Get my point!

I know what you are saying right now, " Everything on a bicycle is made in Taiwan, China, Japan". Well for the most part this is true. But we can fine stuff made right here in the Good Old U.S.A. Matter of fact we can find stuff that is at or near the same price point as the goods that are made overseas and shipped here.

So, why is this in my crawl? I don't know! Maybe it is because mountain biking was born here, or maybe I am on part of this living green thing, or maybe it's about keeping U.S. jobs or maybe it's a lot of things that I don't understand.

I plan to have Blog post on my picks of Bicycles, components, accessories, outdoor gear that is Made in America. Some that I have used and some that I will think about purchasing. But I will need your help! If you have bought something that fits the scope of this project then I would like to here from you.

Here you go with the first component: Vuelta USA Chainrings.

Vuelta USA chainring are made of aerospace-grade 6061-T6 aluminum alloy for the middle and outer rings and 7075-T6 for the granny gears.Chainrings are made in all popular sizes for mountain and road bikes, including MTB Compact, LX/XT/XTR-Compatible, Standard MTB, Standard Road, and Campagnolo-Compatible.

I had to replace the outer ring on my 8 speed Bontrager Cranks. I could not find a Bontrager ring as an replace so I dropped by my LBS and found Vuelta USA rings in black. I think I paid around $22-25 for the ring. So far I have put about 600 miles on the ring without any problems.I would buy their chainrings again. I would like to see how well a middle ring would whole up. Their site gives all the information about their rings,http://www.vueltausa.com

I think Vuelta USA is an Italian company. But they have a USA Headquarters in Pacoima, CA. They also carry ALLOY CHAINRING BOLTS that are made in the U.S.

No comments: